Petula and sirens
It was three o'clock in the afternoon. Returning from lunch. To go to the work we had to pass along to a pub with an English name with a lot of signs in English that reported the broadcast of matches in the Premier League and English rugby. When crossing in front began to sound the chords of "Do not sleep in the subway," the song popularized by the great (in my opinion) Petula Clark. It was a karaoke. She started singing then a woman. A woman with a wonderful voice.
Benidorm. I spent two years going almost daily to Benidorm. Two years we were stuck in the work of a hotel that had some resonance for when it opened, was the building highest in Spain and Europe's tallest hotel. Too bad we had not done since they had the detail not only pay us but also we were invited to the inauguration and the first anniversary. We had the honor of dining with famous luminaries such as abseiling, Raul Sender, Mustache Arrocet, José Sancho, Lidia Lozano or Clifford Luyk while singing great artists such as Mike Serafin Zubiri or Herzog or an orchestra played the name Britannia or something like singers whose thought it was more important to change clothes to sing. Benidorm. I do not like the beach except for running or playing with G. Pallas and Maroto. I do not like the beach tourism and I doubt that once your holiday within a hundred kilometers from the Mediterranean. But I like Benidorm. Has some fascinating that I can not explain. These people walk in a swimsuit paquetero for half of the street when you do not mind the jersey. Those people with red skin dressed in any way. The hordes of English people drinking beer with his wrist at any time (they told me that there are areas of England where no one dares to enter.) And the architecture of the beach, disorderly orderly. Benidorm guess I like it because I've never been. I've always been in step. And also reminds me of a work which I enjoyed a lot and where I learned a lot, one of the most beautiful works that will surely have done. I have not read
Homer. His books are sold in bookstores, a sign that are still in demand. But I do not know anyone who has read or "The Iliad" and "The Odyssey." I know many who tried but all, when asked the reason for its abandonment, introduced the term "pain in the ass" in his explanation. I do not think I ever read. In addition, the Trojan War more or less me know. And the adventures of Odysseus Penelope wove and unraveled as well. While there one of these adventures I do I like to read, is one in which crossed the area of \u200b\u200bthe sirens of song and irresistible flatteries with Ulysses tied to the mast of his ship writhing while his crew with wax plugs in the ears ignored.
"Do not sleep in the subway." The voice of infinite sweetness began to sing "Do not sleep in the subway" savoring each syllable, seducing each chord. In that den of british slum destruction of that came the voice of a mermaid with the sole desire to drag us into hell. And I was not tied to any mast or any pillar. And my crew did not have the ears plugged with wax. I felt that we were lost. I felt that nothing could save us. And that voice that was singing with infinite tenderness. And knowing that it was useless decided to direct resist resigned to where I knew that never return. But my crew is not accompanied me. My crew resisted. The metal fitters have many qualities but the sensitivity is not among them. "But you're stupid or what? Where you going? Come, come, roll for the work. And for the work we went. Resist the siren song. Life is not always literature.
0 comments:
Post a Comment